As a way to reward the efforts of local gardeners and to make the community more beautiful the Valencia County Extension Master Gardeners and the News-Bulletin are accepting nominations and entries for last Yard/Garden of the Month of the year until Oct. 23
Nominations may be made of any yard or garden in Valencia County with the winner receiving a $100 prize and photos of the winning yard also will appear in the News-Bulletin.
The deadline for this month’s contest is noon, Friday, Oct. 23, and the winner will be announced in the Oct. 29 issue of the News-Bulletin.
“The theme for this month’s contest is harvest/Halloween,” said Merlinda Acevedo, president of the Valencia County Master Gardeners. “We, of course, will still accept entries of beautifully landscaped and maintained yards and gardens as we have in the past.”
Nominations must include:
• The name and telephone number of the yard/garden owner;
• The address of where the yard/garden is located (all nominated yards/gardens must be in Valencia County);
• A brief statement of why the yard/garden deserves the award;
• Nominators may also submit up to two photos of the nominated yard/garden via email.
• Judges from the Valencia County Master Gardeners will visit gardens/yards the weekend of Oct. 24.
The Valencia County Master Gardeners is a community service program of the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service and provides courses and information to help community members improve their gardening skills.
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.