Eagle Natatorium and outdoor swimming pool
Outdoor swim lessons
(Registration for the first session opens on Tuesday, May 31. Registration for the remaining sessions opens the week before each two-week session starts.)
Price: $30 per student; cash only.
- Session 1: June 6-16
- Session 2: June 20-30
- Session 3: July 5-14
- Session 4: July 18-28
Lessons are Monday through Thursday for each session. The July 5 session will be Tuesday through Friday that week due to the Monday, July 4, holiday.
- 9:30-10 a.m.: Advanced/intermediate swimmers
- 10-10:30 a.m.: Beginner swimmers*
- 10:30-11 a.m.: Beginner swimmers*
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Beginner swimmers*
- 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Parents and tots
*All beginners must be at least 5 years old.
2022 summer hours
(Begins Tuesday, May 31)
- 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Friday
- 1:30-3:30 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday
- 4:30-6:30 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday.
Open to everyone 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Friday, and during both open sessions.
- 5 and under, and spectators: $1
- 6-12 years old, and senior citizens: $2
- 13-18 years old: $3
- Adults: $4
- 5 and under: $15
- 6-12 years old, and senior citizens: $30
- 13-18 years old: $50
- Adults: $65 (Couple prices also available)
- Family (up to four members, add $15 for each additional member): $90
- Adult only 10-visit punch card: $35
- Annual passes also available
The pool is located on the Belen High School campus on West Delgado. Call 505-966-1338 for more information and to ask about adult water aerobics classes.
Los Lunas splash pad
The opening weekend for the splash pad at Daniel Fernandez Memorial Park, 1103 N.M. 47, Los Lunas, will be Memorial Day weekend, Saturday, May 28. Summer hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday.
Adult co-ed sand volleyball
The village of Los Lunas’s adult co-ed sand volleyball league will begin Tuesday, May 31. Games will be held Tuesday and Thursday nights at the Heritage Park sand courts, 3447 Lambros Rd. SE. Register at loslunasnm.gov/857/Sand-Volleyball. Cost is $150 per team. Call 505-352-7725 for more information.
Beginning fly tying
Los Lunas Open Space is holding a beginning fly tying camp from 5:30-7:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 1, at the Los Lunas Transportation Center, 101 Courthouse Road. Participants will learn basic skills and tools used to tie flies and how to tie two flies. The $35 cost covers supplies and a take home tool kit. Ages for the class are 12 years old and up.
Register at secure.rec1.com/NM/los-lunas-nm/catalog.
Los Lunas Public Library summer reading
The Los Lunas Public Library is offering summer reading programs for children, teens and adults. The programs begin on Friday, June 3, and run through Saturday, July 23. The theme this year is “Oceans of Possibilities.”
The kick-off party for the summer reading program is 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Friday, June 3, at the library, 460 Main St. NE.
Limited capacity events
(Sign up by calling 505-839-3850 or visiting loslunasnm.gov/103/library.)
- 10:30 a.m., Friday, June 17: “Lightyear” screening at Starlight Cinema, 2226 Sun Ranch Village Rd., Los Lunas (Confirmed tickets for this screening will be available to pickup at the library through curbside, which will be available until 4:30 p.m. Make sure to pick them up before 12 p.m., Thursday, June 16, or they will go to individuals on the waiting list.)
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Wednesday, June 29: New Mexico Steam Locomotive Site and Biopark Aquarium Field Trip in Albuquerque
- 10:30 a.m., Friday, July 15: Collage creation celebration
Summer program highlights
Week 1: June 5-11
- 2:30 p.m., Thursday, June 9: STEM Lab — movie making
Week 2: June 12-18
- 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 15: Ha’ahoe O Hawai’i Hula (Will be held at the Los Lunas Museum of Heritage & Arts, 251 Main St. SE.)
Week 3: June 19-25
- 5:30 p.m., Thursday, June 23: Rocky Mountain Puppets
Week 4: June 26-July 2
- 10:30 a.m., Friday, July 1: Bermuda Triangle mystery
Week 5: July 3-9
- 10:30 a.m., Friday, July 8: Kirby Soderberg’s variety show
Week 6: July 10-16
- 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, July 12: “Moana”
Week 7: July 17-23
- 5 p.m., Tuesday, July 19: LEGO Club (Challenge: build a vehicle to explore the depths of the ocean)
For a full schedule of summer programs at the Los Lunas Public Library, visit loslunasnm.gov/103/library.
Belen Public Library summer reading
The Belen Public Library is offering summer reading programs for children, teens and adults. The programs begin on Monday, June 6, and run through Sunday, July 31. The theme this year is “Oceans of Possibilities.”
The children’s program is open to children ages birth to 12. To register, contact Summer Ludwig at 505-966-2608 or [email protected].
To register for the teens’ program, contact Danny Garcia at 505-966-2603 or [email protected].
Adults can contact Connie Ridley at 505-966-2607 or [email protected].
Participants can also register for any of the summer reading programs belenpubliclibrary.com.
Young adult activities
(All activities are from 2:30-4 p.m.)
- Friday, June 3: Water color art contest
- Friday, June 17: Candy making
- Friday, June 24: Storytelling party game
- Friday, July 1: Aquatic mask making
- Saturday, July 9: Ocean movie with snacks
- Friday, July 15: VR ocean games/Pictionary
- Friday, July 22: Storytelling party game
- Friday, July 29: Water balloon game
ABQ BioPark Aquarium
(Each session will be different and feature semi-aquatic animals.)
- 1 p.m., Friday, June 9, and Tuesday, June 21
- 2 p.m., Tuesday, July 12 and Tuesday, July 19
(All special presentations begin at 2 p.m.)
- Tuesday, June 7: Children’s kick-off party
- Tuesday, June 14: Virtual presentation New Mexico Museum of Natural History
- Tuesday, June 28: Sevilleta National Wildlife Preserve
- Tuesday, July 26: Susi Wolf, storyteller
- 11 a.m., Wednesdays: Crafty kids
- 3 p.m., Thursdays: Aqua kids (Aimed at grades three through six, but all are welcome.)
- 11 a.m., Fridays: Whale of a Tale story time
Family movie matinees
(All movies begin at 3 p.m.)
- Saturday, June 11: “Oceans: Disney Nature”
- Saturday, June 18: “The Little Mermaid”
- Saturday, June 25: “Dawn of the Ocean”
- Saturday, July 9: “Finding Nemo”
- Saturday, July 16: “Saving Atlantis”
- Saturday, July 23: “Ponyo”
Los Lunas Summer Recreation
The Los Lunas Summer Recreation program runs 8 a.m .to 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday, from June 6-30 and July 11-28. Sessions are open to children ages 5 to 12. Five-year-olds must have completed kindergarten.
Sessions are $30 per week, each week purchased separately. Participants need to register each week. Each week includes at least two field trips and lunch will be provided
Register at secure.rec1.com/NM/los-lunas-nm/catalog.
Belen summer recreation
(The Belen recreation program is available to children in the cities of Belen and Rio Communities and in the unincorporated Valencia County.)
The first session of the city of Belen’s summer recreation program will be held from Monday, June 13, to Wednesday, July 1. Cost is $150 per session and there are discounts for three or more children.
- Swimming on Mondays and Fridays
- Maker Space programs, such as Osmo Learning, coding, robotics, drones, 3D printing, laser cutting and more on Tuesdays, in Rio Communities
- Dodgeball, arts and crafts, dance, baking, board games, Legos and building blocks on Wednesdays
Special event days
- Thursday, June 16: Albuquerque Zoo
- Wednesday, June 22: Movie day
- Wednesday, June 29: Fallout Trampoline Arena in Albuquerque
There will also be guest speakers from the Belen police and fire departments on various days of the session.
Call Shawn Ammons at 505-966-2703 for registration information.
Sandlot baseball camp
The Grind Sports Academy is holding a sandlot baseball summer camp from 9-11 a.m., on Tuesdays, starting Tuesday, June 7, for ages 8-12. To register, call 505-440-3420 or email [email protected].
Sandlot baseball clinic
The Grind Sports Academy is holding a sandlot summer baseball clinic from 9-11 a.m., on Wednesdays, starting Wednesday, June 8, for seventh and eighth graders. To register, call 505-440-3420 or email [email protected].
Little Eagle basketball camp
The Little Eagle Basketball Camp for boys and girls, kindergarten through eighth grade, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday and Tuesday, June 13-14, at the Belen High School gym. The camp is hosted by the BHS boys basketball team, and will include instruction by high school coaching staff and the players.
Camp activities will include drills in all areas of play and team building games. Players at all skill levels are welcome.
Participants should bring water and money for concessions or snacks. Cost is $45 per camper if pre-registered by June 8; $55 per camper at the door. There is a $5 discount for siblings in the same household.
Make checks payable to: Home of the Eagles Boys Basketball Booster. Cash will also be accepted.
For more information, call Santana Storey, 575-770-2758 or Juanita Sanchez, 505-328-0704.
Junior Golf Camp
There will be a junior golf camp at Tierra del Sol Golf Club, every Tuesday and Thursday, June 14-30. Beginner classes for ages 6-10 will be from 9-10 a.m., and advanced classes for ages 11-17 will be from 10-11 a.m.. The camp is $20.
To register, call 505-864-1000.
The Los Lunas Open Space Division is hosting a three-day camp at the Los Lunas River Park with outdoor activities and a field trip. There will be two separate sessions, with the first from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., June 14-16 and the second from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., July 12-14.
Ages for campers are 8 to 12 years old.
Register at secure.rec1.com/NM/los-lunas-nm/catalog.
Junior Tigers tennis clinics
The Los Lunas High School tennis clinics for students in the Los Lunas middle and high school attendance areas begin on Monday, June 20, with the first session and parent meeting.
The first session is 8-9 a.m. for fifth and sixth grades, and 9-10 a.m. for seventh and eighth grades, at the Huning Ranch tennis courts, 400 Huning Ranch Loop.
The cost is $50 per two-week session, which includes 10 hours of instruction. The second session begins Monday, July 11.
Sign-ups are first come, first serve. For best player/coach interaction, sessions will be limited to eight players.
For more information, contact Mike Velasquez, 505-238-6245 or [email protected].
Valencia Volleyball Camp
The Valencia Jaguars volleyball team is hosting its volleyball camp from 5-6:30 p.m., June 20, 22, 23, 24, in the Valencia High School gym. Register at the door from 4-5 p.m., Monday, June 20.
The cost is $50, $5 sibling discount. Cash or check accepted.
Tigerettes summer dance clinic
The Los Lunas High School Tigerettes are holding a summer dance youth clinic from 3-5 p.m., Monday, June 27, through Wednesday, June 29. The clinic is for youth in grades pre-K through 6th.
The clinic will be at the LLHS auxiliary Gym, and is $45 per child. Prepackaged snacks and drinks will be provided. Each child must bring their own water bottle.
A showcase performance will be held at 3 p.m., Thursday, June 30. Click here to register.
BHS volleyball camp
The Belen High School Volleyball program is hosting a camp for boys and girls, kindergarten through eighth grade from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday and Tuesday, June 27-28, at the BHS gymnasium. Campers will learn basic volleyball skills and participate in team building events.
Cost is $40 by June 14 and $50 per camper after. There is a $5 discount for siblings. Registration at the door is from 8-9 a.m.; cash and checks accepted.
To register, contact Coach Victoria Spragg through the “Belen Eagles Volleyball” Facebook page.
Tiger Soccer Camp
The Los Lunas High soccer program is hosting a camp on June 27-29 at Los Lunas High School for kindergartner through sixth graders. Cost is $50 per child and includes a t-shirt and pizza party.
For information and to register, contact Coach Eraclio Chavez at 505-448-5938 or [email protected].
Big Cat Youth Camp
Learn from both the Los Lunas Tigers and Valencia Jaguars boys basketball staff on players. The free camp, for children in fourth through seventh grades, will be held from 12-3 p.m., June 28-29, at Valencia High School.
RSVP to 505-453-7064 or 505-321-9786 for a T-shirt.
Jaguar Middle School Football Training Camp
There will be a free football training camp for all incoming Valencia Middle School seventh and eighth graders for the 2022 season. The camp will be 5:30-7 p.m., Wednesday, July 6, through Saturday, July 30, at Heritage Park, 3447 Lambros Road SE, in Los Lunas.
Participants must have a physical done through the Rank One website or app. All participants must bring their own water bottle and cleats; bug spray and sunscreen are advised. Wear comfortable shorts.
To sign up, call head coach Shawn Avis, 505-261-6994.
Lady Eagle Soccer Camp
The Lady Eagles will host a soccer camp for children in grades kindergarten through seventh grade, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Saturday, July 9, at Belen High School. Learn the fundamentals of soccer in a day. Full of quality instruction conducted by BHS soccer coaching staff and players.
For information, call Vianca Chaparro at 505-859-1401 or Charlotte Mendoza at 505-417-3611.
Los Lunas High School Volleyball Tiger Cub Camp
The Los Lunas High School volleyball program is hosting two camps this year. The first is 9-11 a.m., Tuesday and Wednesday, July 12-13 for kindergarten through fifth graders. The cost is $40 per camper. The second camp is 1-3 p.m, Tuesday through Thursday, July 12-14, for sixth through eighth graders. The cost is $60 per camper.
Both camps will be at the LLHS gym, 1776 Emilio Lopez Rd., and will feature passing and setting drills, attacking and blocking drills, serving and more. Prizes for best setter, passer, hitter and more will be awarded.
A tournament for both camps will be held at 5:30 p.m., Thursday, July 14.
To register, visit docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf5iG4xRnCDuOinx-amWGOQb107Tw_CT_UzHWoLNFJv0lguaQ/viewform.
Los Lunas co-ed doubles sand volleyball
Registration is now open for the co-ed sand volleyball tournament. The tournament will be held at 6 p.m., Saturday, July 16, at Heritage Park in Los Lunas. Must be 16 and older to participate. Cost is $40 per team.
To sign up visit loslunasnm.gov/946/Co-Ed-Sand-Doubles-Tournament.
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.