The American Red Cross of New Mexico and the Valencia County are hosting a multi-agency resource center for residents impacted by this week’s flooding in Belen and surrounding areas.
The MARC will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday, July 9, and Saturday, July 10, at the Belen Public Library, 333 Becker, Ave., Belen.
Those seeking assistance are asked to please bring proof of address and photo I.D. Also, masks will be required.
After heavy rains causing flash flooding in Belen and the surrounding area, the American Red Cross of New Mexico has opened an emergency shelter for those affected by recent flooding in Valencia County at Dennis Chavez Elementary, 19670 N.M. 314, Los Chavez.
The shelter is available to those who need a safe place to stay or to get information. For additional help, residents can call 1-800-432-7349.
FLOOD SAFETY TIPS:
- Avoid already flooded areas and areas that are subject to sudden floodings, such as dips, low spots, canyons, washes, etc. Stay away from rivers, streams, creeks, and storm drain.
- The National Weather Service reports that nearly half of all flood fatalities are vehicle-related. Do not attempt to cross flowing streams or water-covered roads.
- If caught in a flash flood, try to get to higher ground and stay there. Just six inches of fast-flowing water can knock you over, and two feet will float a car.
- Turn around and find another route if you come upon floodwater, rapidly rising water, or barricades.
- Don’t allow children to play in or near floodwater. It may be contaminated with sewage.
After a flood
- If evacuated, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so. Continue listening to local news or NOAA Weather Radio for updated information and instructions.
For more information on flood safety, including a flood safety checklist in several languages, visit redcross.org/Flood.
HOW YOU CAN HELP, You can help people affected by disasters like floods and countless other crises by giving American Red Cross Disaster Relief a gift. Your gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters big and small. Visit redcross.org/NewMexico or call 1-800 RED CROSS.
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.