From art to baking and on to toad races, blue ribbons abounded at the Bosque Farms Community Fair.
Some children simply entered under their first names and are shown that way here. Here’s a list of winners for inside exhibits, best of show:
- Agriculture, Bill and Eva Chapman.
- Art, adult, Kelly Baldwin; junior-1, Hunter Wood; junior-2, T. Archuleta; Junior-3, Samuel Fernandez.
- Baking, adult, Jim Quigley; junior, Cameron Lepold.
- Canning, adult, Cathy Lindberg.
- Ceramics, adult, Shawna Farwell; J-1, Bryan Martinez.
- Hobbycraft, adult, Gary McNabb; J-1, C. Swaggerty; J-2, Anna Emond.
- Horticulture, adult (tie), Maggi Geddes and Janice Brunacini.
- Models, adult, Richard Keller; J-2, Michael Contratto; J-3, Eddie Keller.
- Needlework, adult, Jeannie Stokes.
- Photography, adult, Ruth Romero; J-1, Sierra Smith; J-2, Amanda Vollmer.
- Sewing, Deby Gillingly.
Winners for outdoor exhibits, animals, include:
- Lambs, Cameron Leopold.
- Pigs, Morgan Edmond.
- Goats, Bailey Edmond.
- Pgymy goats, Amanda Vollmer.
- Family award winner: the Cross family.
Winners in other events:
- Totally Tadpole winners, Tadpoles (ages 2 to 4), 1. Hunter; 2. Sophia; 3. Peyton. Frogsters (ages 5 to 7), 1. Katie K.; 2. Emily; 3. Juliette. Lily Pad Sitters (ages 8 to 10), 1. Katie Q; 2. Kalin; 3. Andrew. Toad Race, 10 and under, Angela Truett; 11 to 13, Michael Barger; 14 to 16, Kelly Michnovicz; adult, Nich Michnovicz; business, The Bell Group; grand champion, Angela Truett.
4-H dog show, Dog 1, Dustin Bentley; Dog 2, Alexis Lopez; Dog 3, Katy Seals; High-point dog, Dustin Bentley; grooming, Dustin Bentley.
- Talent contest, adult, Kenny Bodkin; junior, 1. Raymond Sandoval; 2. Katie Q. and Katie K.; 3. Stephanie Marquez. Youth, 1. Michelle Stokes; 2. Katrina Allen.
- Parade winners, commercial, Los Lunas Animal Clinic; best float, American Heroes; motorized, John Deere Tractors; equestrian, Tiny Trotters; honorable mention, decorated-bike riders; judges’ award, National Cemetery Group.
- Horseshoes, men, Butch Madore; women, Jan Quigley; mixed, Bob Knowlton and Jan Quigley; juniors (12 to 16), Gary Richins; youth (11 and under, Cameron Contratto.
- Greased pole winner, Justin Arellano.
- Baking contest winners, bread and rolls, Dee Gorduyn; cakes, Mary Akerstrom; cookies, C.J. Griffin; best of show, Mary Akerstrom.
- Decorated-bike winners, age 6 and under, 1. (tie) Katie and Xavier; 7 to 10, the Garcia kids.
- Chile contest winners, green chile with meat, Barb Corrie; green chile without meat, Barb Corrie; red chile with meat, Barb Corrie; red chile without meat, Rich Wilke; salsa, Barb Corrie; chile appetizer, Rich Wilke; any other, Jerry Whitener; best of show, Barb Corrie; People’s Choice Award, C. Huerena.
“The fair board would like to thank all those who entered exhibits, participated in events, judged or supervised the activities,” it said in a news release. “Without your help and participation, the Bosque Farms Community Fair would not be around for its 64th year. See you at next year’s fair.”
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.