LOS LUNAS-The Valencia County Extension Master Gardeners have chosen Frances and Lawrence Vargas, of Los Lunas, as winners of Yard and Garden of the Month for June in the contest, co-sponsored by the Valencia County News-Bulletin.
“Their yard was like a park in your own backyard,” said Julie Nutting, who was one of the Master Gardener judges this month.
She added it was a difficult choosing a winner because each of the nominated yards had their own unique features.
Betsy Cooley, another of this month’s judges, said Vargas’ yard, which is off Molina Road in Los Lunas, had areas designed to appeal to different members of the Vargas’ extended family.
“There were places for the kids to enjoy and others for the adults,” Cooley said.
As the June winners, the Vargas will receive a $100 prize from the Valencia Master Gardeners.
The contest continues a monthly basis through the growing season in October.
To nominate a yard/garden submit:
- The name and telephone number of the yard/garden owner;
- The address of where the yard/garden is located (all nominated yards/gardens must be in Valencia County);
- A brief statement of why the yard/garden deserves the award;
- Nominations for the July contest are due by noon, Friday, July 9, and must be submitted via email to either Rigo Chavez at email@example.com or Merlinda Acevedo at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Nominators may also submit up to two photos of the nominated yard/garden via email.
The Valencia County Master Gardeners is a community service program of the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service and provides courses and information to help community members improve their gardening skills.
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.