LOS LUNAS—As a way to reward the efforts of local gardeners and to make the community more beautiful, the Valencia County Extension Master Gardeners and the News-Bulletin are sponsoring a Yard and Garden of the Week Contest starting May 1.
Nominations may be made of any yard or garden in Valencia County with the weekly winner receiving a $100 prize and photos of the winning yard also will appear in the News-Bulletin.
The deadline for the first nominations is Friday, May 1, and the winner will be announced in the Thursday, May 7, edition of the News-Bulletin.
“We are so happy to be joining with the News-Bulletin to feature some of the nicest yards or gardens in the county,” said Merlinda Acevedo, president of the Valencia County Master Gardeners.
Nominations must include:
• The name and telephone number of the yard/garden owner;
• The address of where the yard/garden is located (all nominated yards/gardens must be in Valencia County);
• A brief statement of why the yard/garden deserves the award;
• Nominations are due by 12-noon each Friday, and must be submitted via email to either Rigo Chavez at c[email protected] or Merlinda Acevedo at [email protected];
• Nominators may also submit up to two photos of the nominated yard/garden via email.
If no photographs are submitted with the nomination, members of the Valencia County Master Gardeners will photograph the winning yard/garden.
Acevedo added that the contest will continue weekly through May 29 and may continue on a monthly basis after that date.
The Valencia County Master Gardeners is a community service program of the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service and provides courses and information to help community members improve their gardening skills.
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.