LOS LUNAS — The Valencia County Extension Master Gardeners have chosen the yard of Tim and Susan Auge, of Los Lunas, as the August “Yard and Garden of the Week” in the contest co-sponsored by the Valencia County News-Bulletin.
“The Auges’ yard takes raised-bed gardening to a whole new level” said Rigo Chavez, who chairs the Master Gardener Yard of the Month committee. “The way their garden is set up and the way they’ve managed to maintain it is very inspiring.
“All the yards we visited for this month’s contest showed a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication on the part of the gardeners,” he added.
The Auges, who live on Cactus Drive in Los Lunas, said they put in as much time as they can to their garden and like to try different varieties of vegetables and some fruits.
“Of course the best benefit is that we get to eat well,” said Susan Auge, adding that last year they even made some wine with the muscat grapes from their garden.
Tim Auge said they have been working on the garden area of their yard for about the past five years.
“We just enjoy it and I think it’s really cool that we have been recognized by the master gardeners,” Tim Auge said.
The yard and garden contest will continue monthly in September and October.
Nominations and entries must include:
• The name and telephone number of the yard/garden owner;
• The address of where the yard/garden is located (all nominated yards/gardens must be in Valencia County);
• A brief statement of why the yard/garden deserves the award;
• Nominations for the September contest are due at 12-noon, Friday, Sept. 11, and must be submitted via email to either Rigo Chavez at [email protected] or Merlinda Acevedo at [email protected];
• Nominators may also submit up to two photos of the nominated yard/garden via email.
The Valencia County Master Gardeners is a community service program of the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service and provides courses and information to help community members improve their gardening skills.
The Valencia County News-Bulletin is a locally owned and operated community newspaper, dedicated to serving Valencia County since 1910 through the highest journalistic and professional business standards. The VCNB is published weekly on Thursdays, including holidays both in print and online.