The deadline for the Valencia County Extension Master Gardeners and the News-Bulletin July Yard/Garden of the Month contest is Friday, July 9.
Nominations may be made of any yard or garden in Valencia County with the winner receiving a $100 prize and a photo of the winning yard appearing in the July 15 News-Bulletin.
Merlinda Acevedo, president of the Valencia County Master Gardeners, said judges will visit yards nominated on Saturday and will be looking at yard appearance and maintenance, plant variety, water use, and creativity and design.
Nominations must include:
- The name and telephone number of the yard/garden owner;
- The address of where the yard/garden is located (all nominated yards/gardens must be in Valencia County);
- A brief statement of why the yard/garden deserves the award;
- Nominations are due at 12 noon, Friday, July 9, and must be submitted via email to Merlinda Acevedo at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Rigo Chavez at email@example.com.
- Nominators may also submit up to two photos of the nominated yard/garden via email.
If no photographs are submitted with the nomination, members of the Valencia County Master Gardeners will photograph the winning yard/garden.
Acevedo added that the contest will continue on a monthly basis through October.
The Valencia County Extension Master Gardeners is a community service program of the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service and provides courses and information to help community members improve their gardening skills.